Growing up, my mom would prefer to cook fish instead of meat and escabeche is one of the dishes that she always cook for us. Escabeche is also known as Sweet and Sour Fish.
Watch the video below for full instructions. and subscribe to our YouTube Channel to get updated with our latest recipes. Enjoy!
Here are the ingredients
- 250 grams Snapper or Maya Maya
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 medium size Onion
- 1 thumb size ginger
- 1 pc carrots
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (dissolve in water)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- Rub salt in the fish and set aside for 30 mins. Dissolve the cornstarch in water, we will use it later to thicken the sauce.
- Fry the fish until golden brown in both sides.
- Reduce the oil in the pan and saute the garlic, onion and ginger.
- Pour in around 300mL of water. Add the sugar and vinegar. Simmer for 1 min.
- Season with salt and pepper. Gradually add the cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- Add the fish and adjust the taste according to your preferred saltiness.
- Lastly, add the carrots and simmer for 1 min.
Here’s our sweet and sour Snapper! It is also called escabeche in Tagalog. Enjoy!